CASTorBLAST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Rules  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Follow CASTorBLAST.com

Similar topics
Young Co Buck
AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Lesbuck
Sponsors

Our Friends

AW's Beer Reviews

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
AWMiller

AWMiller

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:51 pm

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Sierranevada2011summerfest2

Brew: Sierra Nevada Summerfest 2011

Brewed by: Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. | Chico, California USA

Style: Czech Pilsener

Glassware: Best served in a pilsner glass, mug, or a stange.

Personal Notes: Another entry into my personal BHoF! This brew pours a rich amber-gold colored body and sports a frothy/bubbly head which dissipates to a thin head with good retention and lacing. Scents of sweet malts and citrus-y fruits. Flavors of sweet malts and citrus-y fruits are absolutely amazing! The body is light, crisp, and dry which makes for an incredibly easy-drinking brew. When compared against other Czech lagers (whether imported or domestic) this one has them beat hands down! Definitely a brew to be enjoyed on hot Texas summer days; but also an excellent brew to enjoy year-round. luminous pale gold, very slight haze, and stark white head that retains a thin head for the duration of the pint. An excellent pairing with some grilled fish/seafood!

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Sierranevada2011summerfesta

Got this brew @ Lone Star Beverages.
Back to top Go down
AWMiller

AWMiller

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:55 pm

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Warsteinerpremiumverum1

Brew: Warsteiner Premium Verum

Brewed by: Warsteiner Brauerei | Warstein, Germany

Style: German Pilsner

Glassware: Best served in a pilsner glass or a mug.

Personal Notes: This brew is a great session brew! It pours up a light, golden colored body (almost like the color of a starfruit) and sports a frothy/bubbly head that dissipates rather quickly down to a fine film of a head. The smell is not overbearing by any means; filled with subtle hints of hops and a light citrus-y smell. The flavors are filled with the nice bite of hops touched up with some warm hints of citrus fruits and something grassy (lemon-grass perhaps?). The body of the brew is awesome; no bitter aftertaste, very light, and a clean finish. Definitely a brew to be enjoyed with some fish/seafood or better yet with some brats/wurst and some sauerkraut (that creamy German-style)!

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Warsteinerpremiumverum

Back to top Go down
Dan Gleason
Admin
Dan Gleason

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyThu May 12, 2011 8:30 pm

Yummy AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 3476
Back to top Go down
AWMiller

AWMiller

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyFri May 13, 2011 12:44 pm

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Dundeehoneybrown1

Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager

Brewed by: Genesee Brewing Co./Dundee Brewing Co. | Rochester, New York USA

Style: Amber/Red Lager

My preferred glassware: Shaker

My personal notes:
This is a great session brew! It pours up a rich copper-colored body with a one-finger foamy head that dissipates quickly. Scents of honey (duh!), caramel, malts, warm bread. Flavor is a twinge of sweetness from the honey, caramel, and Hungry Jack biscuits! No heavy aftertaste, just a good, clean finish. Goes darn good with some homemade tacos and burritos.

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Dundeehoneybrown

Back to top Go down
AWMiller

AWMiller

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyFri May 13, 2011 1:02 pm

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Birramorettilarossa1

Birra Moretti La Rossa

Brewed by: Heineken Italia | Milano, Italy

Style: Doppelbock

My preferred glassware: Shaker

My personal notes:
A great Italian session brew! This brew pours up a rich ruby-brown body with a frothy two-finger head. Scents and flavors of caramel, roasted malts, and sweet molasses. Very rich with a clean, crisp finish and no harsh aftertaste. This would go great paired up with some dry-rubbed/smoked ribs!

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Birramorettilarossa

Back to top Go down
AWMiller

AWMiller

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyFri May 13, 2011 1:04 pm

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Northcoastoldrasputin1

North Coast Old Rasputin

Brewed by: North Coast Brewing Co. | Ft. Bragg, California USA

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

My preferred glassware: Snifter

My personal notes:
What an amazing imperial stout!! This brew pours up a rich, black body sporting a frothy one-finger thick tan-colored head that dissipates slowly into a tan-colored ring (with very good retention) that leaves incredible lacing on the sides of the glass. Scents of roasted malts, dark chocolates, strong coffee and alcohol. Flavors of the same embody a light syrupy body texture with just a slight tinge of bitter aftertaste (but that is what makes it so good!). As the brew warms, the flavors and scents just intensify! This is a very easy-drinking imperial stout so go slow and enjoy the robustness of this brew. A great brew year-round but especially one to be enjoyed in the wintry months next to a roaring fire!

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Northcoastoldrasputin

Back to top Go down
AWMiller

AWMiller

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyMon May 16, 2011 11:27 am

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Abitaturbodog1

Abita Turbodog

Brewed by: Abita Brewing Co.; Abita Springs, Louisiana USA

Style: English Brown Ale

My preferred glassware: Pint glass

My personal notes:
Probably one of the best offerings one can enjoy from Abita! This brew pours up a deep, dark chocolaty brown body and sports a rich, foamy tan-colored head. Scents of espresso, caramel, roasted malts and even those of a well aged bourbon. Flavors of slow-roasted coffee, dark chocolates and bits of toffee; also mixed in this complex brew are dark fruits (akin to plums). This is a great session brew and definitely one to be enjoyed with some grilled meats or even a good wild game dinner!

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Abitaturbodog

Back to top Go down
AWMiller

AWMiller

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyMon May 16, 2011 4:01 pm

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Meantimelondonporter1

Meantime London Porter

Brewed by: Meantime Brewing Company Limited | London, United Kingdom (England)

Style: English Porter

My preferred glassware: Pint glass

My personal notes:
Now this is one robust porter!!! This brew pours up a hearty dark brown body sporting a frothy tan-colored head that has excellent retention and lacing qualities. Warm scents and flavors of roasted malts, warm hazelnuts, raisins, chocolate and slow-roasted coffee along with some subtle hints of well-aged bourbon. Not too bitter and not too sweet with just the right ‘bite’ of aftertaste that beckons you to have another sip. The body texture is very creamy so go slow and enjoy this fine porter; no need to rush or quaff! A fine porter to enjoy year-round with some grilled steaks or a hearty wild game dinner; or just all by itself!

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Meantimelondonporter

Back to top Go down
AWMiller

AWMiller

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 9:36 pm

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Realalephoenixxdoubleesb
Real Ale Phoenixx Double ESB - Real Ale Brewing Company | Blanco, Texas USA

Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (ESB)

My personal notes: Bitter is as bitter does! This brew poured up a murky, coppery colored body with a one-finger head with good retention and thick lacing. Aromas of malts, caramel, a nip of citrus and hops. Flavors of roasted malts, caramel and citrus followed up with a hoppy/bitter aftertaste. The brew is crisp and smooth with a good bitter finish. Would be a good brew for the BBQ!
Back to top Go down
AWMiller

AWMiller

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:22 pm

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Flyingdogoldscratch
Flying Dog Old Scratch Amber Lager - Flying Dog Brewery | Frederick, Maryland USA

Style: Steam Beer

My personal notes: This brew poured up a dark, rich copper colored body with a one-finger bubbly off-white head that left a good deal amount of lacing. Scents and flavors of toffee, caramel, malts, warm butter. The body is somewhat creamy/malty with a very smooth finish and a great balance between the malts and hops. Would be great paired up with some grilled poultry or a spicy fish/seafood meal.
Back to top Go down
AWMiller

AWMiller

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 9:51 am

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Kostritzerschwarzbier

Kostritzer Schwarzbier
Kostritzer Schwarzbierbrauerei GmbH & Co. | Bad Kostritz/Thuringen, Germany

Style: Schwarzbier

My personal notes: Another great German schwarz! This brew poured up a hearty black-colored body with a one-finger tan-colored head that left good lacing on the sides of the glass. Scents of roasted malts and dark chocolates and a subtle undertone of hops. Flavors of rich malts and dark chocolates. The body is smooth with hardly any bitter aftertaste but rather a somewhat silky, chocolaty aftertaste which gets better the more the brew returns to room temperature. Definitely a brew to have following a hearty brat/wurst dinner!
Back to top Go down
AWMiller

AWMiller

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 12:51 pm

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Deschutesabyss2010-1

Deschutes The Abyss 2010 Reserve
Deschutes Brewery | Bend, Oregon USA
Purchased @ Lone Star Beverages

Style: American Imperial/Double Stout

My personal notes:

Oh how sweet that deep, dark Abyss …

For quite some time I have been reserving THE number one spot of my Beer Hall of Fame for THE best brew. Deschutes Abyss is THE brew! From the moment I peeled off the wax covering and removed the cap I knew that this would be a brew like none other. Many friends and brew-aficionados had long been telling me that this was the brew of brews that were along my taste preferences. What a fool I was to wait so long to partake in this enticing beverage!

After refrigerating for a few days and then into the freezer for an hour, I let this brew ‘rest’ for an hour to warm up a tad. This brew poured up a decadent near-black colored body sporting a healthy mocha-colored foamy head with retention like I’ve never experienced (so much that I had a lot of foam left on that last sip!) and lacing that left you holding the glass and admiring the artwork long after that last sip was taken. Amazing scents of warm cocoa, roasted malts, alcohol (not too much), and slow roasted robust coffee. This coffee is complex and tantalizing with flavors of dark chocolates, coffee, roasted hazelnuts and hints of vanilla and well-aged bourbon that beckons you to take another sip just as soon as you finished taking one! The body of this brew is just astounding with the just-right thickness and that smooth, clean finish with a warm, bitter, chocolaty, light bourbon aftertaste. Delicious.

I enjoyed this beverage all by itself and it’s definitely a warmer-upper!! At 11% ABV (alcohol by volume) this bad boy does the job right! So it is definitely NOT a brew to be quaffed! Slow down, relax, and enjoy. While this brew is recommend to be enjoyed during the wintry months, it is definitely one that can be enjoyed all year round. When the next reserve is produced, I know I will be stocking up and cellaring many, many bottles of this fine beverage. Heck, I might even share a bottle; might, that is!

Enjoy it by itself or pair this brew up with a hearty slow-grilled porterhouse steak or some wild game (venison, buffalo, feral hog, etc.) or even some slow-smoked brats/sausage. Either way, you will enjoy this amazing brew! Hats off to the folks at Deschutes; you nailed it with The Abyss!
Back to top Go down
Dan Gleason
Admin
Dan Gleason

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 8:36 pm

They all look good AW cheers
Back to top Go down
whem2fish

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 10:31 am

aw have you tried the new guennis stout
Back to top Go down
whem2fish

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 8:09 pm

my review no betterr than stout more money
Back to top Go down
AWMiller

AWMiller

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyMon May 30, 2011 9:55 pm

back from vacation and getting some write-ups ready... back to posting regularly soon!!
Back to top Go down
AWMiller

AWMiller

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyTue May 31, 2011 9:44 pm

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Chocsigdubbel-1
Choc Beer Brewmaster’s Signature Belgian-Style Dubbel
Krebs, Oklahoma USA
Purchased @ Lone Star Beverages - Carrollton, Texas USA

Style: Ale – Dubbel

My personal notes: Now just because this brew hails from Oklahoma, don’t let that stop you from trying this exceptional beer! It pours up a rich mahogany-colored body sporting a tan-colored head that lingers for quite a long time and leave a good amount of lacing on the glass. Incredible scents of toffee, caramel, and dark fruits (like plums, dark cherries, etc.) along with vanilla, warm nuts, and roasted malt. Flavors of the same with none overpowering the other. The body is rich and creamy with a spicy finish that is just absolutely amazing! Definitely a brew to be paired up with a hearty beef dish or slow-grilled steaks!
Back to top Go down
AWMiller

AWMiller

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 9:51 pm

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Augustijnblonde
Augustijn Ale
Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. | Ertvelde, Belgium

Style: Ale – Tripel

My personal notes: This brew makes for a rather good session beer. It pours up a murky apple-juice colored body with a huge foamy head with good retention and loads of lacing. Scents of yeast and malts intermingled with a bit of honey and ripe bananas. Flavors are near the same with the yeasts and malts and some spices with a tinge of alcohol and something near the lines of a sour mash taste at the finish. The body is light and thin with an ease of drinkability. For those that haven’t dabbled with tripels, this is a good start but know that tripels should possess a flavor complexity greater than what this brew presents. Would go well with some grilled pork topped with grilled peaches or pineapple.
Back to top Go down
AWMiller

AWMiller

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 9:08 pm

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Guldendraak
Gulden Draak
Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. | Ertvelde, Belgium

Style: Ale – Strong Dark Ale (Dark Tripel)

My personal notes: Now this is one amazing dark tripel! This brew pours up a rich dark brown colored body with an incredibly frothy tan-colored head loaded up with amazing retention and lacing! Scents of hot caramel, buttery toffee and dark fruits (like plums or dark cherries) along with slight hints of bananas or warm banana-nut bread. Hearty flavors of caramel and toffee are largely present followed up by a smooth, creamy, non-bitter finish with just the right amount of alcohol taste to the brew. Take your time with this brew as it is definitely not a quaffer (as I cannot stands beers like that!). Pair this up with a slow-grilled steak dinner and you have a winner!
Back to top Go down
AWMiller

AWMiller

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 9:27 pm

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Averyjoespilsner
Avery Joe’s Premium American Pilsner
Avery Brewing Company | Boulder, Colorado USA

Style: Lager – Strong Lager

My personal notes: For those that like a lager/pilsner with some extra ‘ooomph’ this is the brew for you! This brew pours up a vibrant straw colored body (almost like Mello Yello!) and a nice fizzy head that tapers down quickly to a thin film and leaves minimal lacing on the sides of the glass. Strong aromas of hops hit you right upon opening. Flavors filled to the brim with hops (if you like bitter then you will like this brew!) followed up with a slightly sweet, somewhat biscuit-like flavors and finish. Very light bodied and easy to drink, this brew would be an awesome compliment to your summer-time BBQs or with a nice spicy cajun/seafood dinner!
Back to top Go down
AWMiller

AWMiller

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 8:32 pm

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Piraatale
Piraat Ale - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. | Ertvelde, Belgium

Style: Ale – Belgian IPA

My personal notes: Of the IPA line of brews, Belgian IPAs are sure to rank at the top! This brew pours up a creamy, murky, hazy apricot colored body sporting a bubbly two-finger head with great retention and lacing. Served just slightly cooler than room temperature so that the scents and flavors are maximized. Slight hints of apricots (possibly apples?), hops, alcohol, and warm biscuits. Flavors of apricots, honeycomb (not the cereal!), just a hint of cloves, and a bite of hops at the end. The body is very creamy, almost silky. This brew is best enjoyed all by itself after a hearty beef/wild game dinner.
Back to top Go down
Dan Gleason
Admin
Dan Gleason

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 8:35 pm

They all look good AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 568194
Back to top Go down
AWMiller

AWMiller

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 8:58 pm

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Bornemdouble
Bornem Dubbel - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. | Ertvelde, Belgium

Style: Ale – Dubbel/Trappist

My personal notes: Yet another great dubbel!! This brew pours up a robust dark, cherry-cola colored body and a slight bubbly head that dissipated quickly leaving minimal lacing. Sweet aromas of raisins (maybe it was figs?), caramel, molasses, spices. Serve just slightly cooler than room temperature the flavors in this brew are just incredible! Caramel, raisins, cloves. The body is very smooth, medium in heaviness and just a slight ‘hoppy’ bite with a light alcoholic tinge at the finish. This is a very easily drinkable brew and pairs nicely with a beef dish of some sort (especially Shepherds Pie!).
Back to top Go down
AWMiller

AWMiller

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 9:03 pm

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Fullsailamberale
Full Sail Amber Ale - Full Sail Brewery | Hood River, Oregon USA

Style: Ale – Amber/Red Ale

My personal notes: Hands down this is one refreshing amber ale! This brew pours up a dark copper-colored body sporting a frothy two-finger thick tan-colored head that has good retention and lacing effects. Served fridge-cold this brew produced scents of apricots, toasted malts and a very slight citrus-y/hoppy note. It has a very crisp/smooth feel with lots of spices, apricots, caramel, malts and finishes up with a slight hoppy bite. This brew would go nicely with a rich or spicy fish/seafood dinner!
Back to top Go down
AWMiller

AWMiller

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 9:07 pm

AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Bornemtriple
Bornem Triple - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. | Ertvelde, Belgium

Style: Ale – Tripel/Trappist

My personal notes: This brew poured up a hazy golden colored body with a one-finger bubbly head that dissipated quickly and left some lacing effects. Served ‘fridge-cold’ there were scents of citrus fruits, malts and definitely some yeast. It has a medium body with flavors of dried fruits (apricots, pears); slightly malty and has a clean ‘hoppy’ finish that is not too bitter. Grilled pork steaks (thick ones; two-inch thick that is!) covered with an apricot marmalade would be the perfect pairing with this brew in my opinion!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AW's Beer Reviews   AW's Beer Reviews - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

AW's Beer Reviews
Page 5 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next